Manchester United eased into the last 16 of the Europa League as a goalless draw in the second leg against Real Sociedad sealed a 4-0 aggregate win.
The Spanish side had a chance to score at Old Trafford early on but Mikel Oyarzabal shot a poor penalty wide.
Bruno Fernandes hit the crossbar for United with Sociedad’s Modibo Sagnan also striking the woodwork.
Axel Tuanzebe thought he had scored his first United goal when he headed home a corner, but it was ruled out.
Tuanzebe, who came on at half-time, powerfully met Alex Telles’ corner but, after a video assistant referee check, referee Lawrence Visser watched the incident on a pitchside monitor and judged that Victor Lindelof had committed a foul before the ball reached his fellow centre-back.
United won 4-0 in the first leg, which was played in Turin because of coronavirus restrictions, and were able to give game time to a number of younger players.
Ivorian winger Amad Diallo, 18, made a home debut when he came on in the second half, before English forward Shola Shoretire, who turned 17 earlier this month, became the youngest player to appear for United in European competition.
Their victory means there will be four British sides in the Europa League last 16, with Tottenham, Arsenal and Rangers all advancing, although Leicester were eliminated by Slavia Prague.
The draw for the last 16 will take place on Friday at 12:00 GMT and the BBC Sport website and app will have live text coverage of the draw.
With no seedings, and no restrictions on sides from the same nation facing each other, the draw could produce an all-Premier League clash.
The eight last-16 ties will be played on 11 and 18 March.
More to follow.
How to play
Rate players out of 10 throughout or after the game. The rater will close 30 minutes after the final whistle.
Rating range key = Give it up = Pure perfection
- 29Wan-BissakaSubstituted forWilliamsat 45′minutesBooked at 49mins
- 2LindelöfBooked at 65mins
- 17FredBooked at 40minsSubstituted forTuanzebeat 45′minutes
- 11GreenwoodSubstituted forShoretireat 76′minutes
- 18Bruno FernandesSubstituted forRashfordat 45′minutes
- 21JamesSubstituted forDialloat 59′minutes
- 1de Gea
- 18GorosabelSubstituted forBautistaat 45′minutes
- 16GuevaraSubstituted forGuridiat 72′minutes
- 11JanuzajSubstituted forMerquelanzat 66′minutes
- 19IsakSubstituted forPortugués Manzaneraat 45′minutes
- 10OyarzabalSubstituted forBarrenetxeaat 45′minutes
- 7Portugués Manzanera
- Lawrence Visser
Match ends, Manchester United 0, Real Sociedad 0.