Manchester City are counting the cost of the current financial climate and have slashed the budget assigned to lure Lionel Messi away from Barcelona.
The 33-year-old Barca captain could depart his boyhood team in the 2021 off-season after publicly trying, and failing, to force an exit from the Catalan club last August.
A reunion with Pep Guardiola at Manchester City has been the subject of much speculation, but Messi may have to compromise to make the move happen as the Premier League leaders’ bargaining power has taken a hit.
TOP STORY – CITY FORCED TO LOWER MESSI CONTRACT OFFER
City had already tabled a five-year contract designed to tempt Messi to switch LaLiga for the Premier League – but the numbers have now changed, reports The Sun.
A package worth £600million (€693m) had reportedly been prepared in order to tie the six-time Ballon d’Or winner down for the rest of his career, should he opt to leave Barca at the end of the season.
But The Sun says City will now not match the terms set in August, and the offer has dropped to £430million (€496m), potentially opening the door for Paris Saint-Germain to swoop.
Man City slash Lionel Messi contract offer to a mere £430m as they look to land Argentine this summer | @dwright75 https://t.co/Fv4rw4nplW pic.twitter.com/0HwtPUy7Kg
— The Sun Football (@TheSunFootball) February 18, 2021
– Chelsea have already made contact with winger Jonas Hofmann, according to Bild, as the Borussia Monchengladbach exodus threatens to begin following the news that coach Marco Rose is leaving for Borussia Dortmund next season. Hofmann played for Thomas Tuchel at Dortmund.
– Milan midfielder Franck Kessie is also in Tuchel’s sights, and the Blues could offer Fikayo Tomori to the Serie A giants on a permanent deal as part of a player-plus-cash exchange, reports Il Milanista.
– Everton loanee Moise Kean has netted 14 goals in 25 games for PSG and his parent club will not part with the Italy international for any less than £60m, says Fabrizio Romano, while Juventus want to bring the striker back to Turin, according to Le 10 Sport.
Everton ‘will demand £70m for Moise Kean transfer’ after impressing at PSG https://t.co/3PvjhBQ1rf
— Sun Sport (@SunSport) February 18, 2021
– ‘If there are opportunities, I will have a look at them,’ is what Wilfried Zaha told the Financial Times Business of Football Summit, reports The Sun. The Crystal Palace winger has been previously linked with Arsenal and Tottenham.
– Gunners midfielder Lucas Torreira, currently on the fringes while on loan at Atletico Madrid, is close to securing a move to Fiorentina for next season, claims Gazzetta Dello Sport.